Saturday, January 22, 2011

Building a Good Reputation

Something that I've learned over the past few weeks is that the phrase "nice guys finish last" is a filthy, filthy LIE.  I make more sales because I'm friendly and help people out when they ask for it.  Yes, seriously.

The place I noticed this most prominently was my glyph market.  I tend to sit in Org and listen to trade while doing other things (both RL and in game) and if I see someone ask a question, or for help, I'll send them a tell either giving them the info they were looking for or seeing if I can't hop onto an alt and give them a hand with what they need.

I did this partially because sitting in Org is kinda boring, but partially because helping people is fun for me.  But I noticed a while ago that not only guildies are seeking me out above my competition when buying glyphs -- random people I've talked to in trade are as well!  When I see a name I had been conversing with a few days prior buying 9 glyphs all in a row, it feels like a nice reward.  Especially when I get a tell saying they bought my stuff because they want the money going to someone nice, or someone they know. =)

Mind you, I'd make glyphs for my guildies for free if they'd ask, but I won't complain if they decide to buy em from me instead. =P (Dear Exile readers:  Next time you need a glyph, just send me a tell first!  I <3 all of you and thus you can have free glyphs. =D )

If I see someone asking in trade for a glyph made I'll send them a tell and ask them about it.  Usually it's because I've got the glyphs posted for 250+ and they can't afford to pay so much.  So I cut them a deal on that glyph and they then buy from me instead of my competition while they finish decking out that alt.  It's pretty sweet.

It also happens if I'm barking Mysterious Fortune Cards.  Someone'll send me a message asking me about them or whatnot and I'll have a friendly conversation with them and they then go forth and spend 1k in fortune cards.

Of course there's always a downside.  I found someone in trade earlier this week, a new player, who was asking for addon advice.  I sent them a tell and we had a nice conversation about what addons I like to use for what, and she went on her merry way, adding me in case she had further questions.

Since then, she has constantly asked me for money, glyphs, ink, herbs, runs through dungeons...you name it and she's tried to get me to give it to her.  I felt bad at first, as I remember being a new player.  So when she asked if I had a Levitate glyph she could have, I gave it to her.  But then she asked for several more and I said no.  She asked for gold making tips which I happily gave her, telling her that she should pick up herbing and mining and go farm a bit for money.  Instead she decided to pick inscription and herbing, since I had mentioned that I made a lot of money from it.  Upon finding out that she has done this I believe the conversation went something like this:

Her:  I picked up inscription, do you have any Alabastor Ink?
Me:  Nope.
Her:  How about Peacebloom?
Me:  Nope.  Why did you get inscription?
Her:  You said you make a lot of money with it.
Me:  ...Yes, I do.  But I've spent a lot of money and time leveling it up, learning all the recipes, learning the market and making myself a spot in it.  I've been mostly controlling the glyph market on here for months.  It's not something you'll be able to jump into and make a ton of money with.
Her:  Okay.  Do you have any Midnight Ink?

I've never had this issue before, but this kid is driving me crazy!  >_<  Every time I log on she's asking me for everything she needs.  I'm contemplating ignoring her, but I hate hurting people's feelings.

...I'll probably do it anyway.  Hopefully she doesn't remember my main's name, as I think I mentioned it once in passing. 

But anyway.  If you work on your server to become known as someone who is fair and kind to your customers, it'll probably get you more sales. So try whispering someone if they have a question you know the answer to -- helping people on your server can really pay off (literally! :D), just be sure to avoid crazy, lazy kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment