Sunday, January 23, 2011

Low Level Money Making

About a week ago I rolled a hunter on a brand new server with an old friend of mine.  Given how much fun I've been having making gold I decided to make a pet project out of making money over there too.  My hunter is only level 31, but he already has 2000 gold!  How?  Let me tell you...

I spent a bit on herbs to restock and level up a bit more, but you get the picture. =)

The most effective way I know of making money from scratch is by running around the city of your character and buying every single pattern you come across.  They'll pretty much fill up your bags at the start if you're like me and only have 6 slot bags from questing.  However, stick these up on the auction house for 30-50 gold and wait a few days, relisting them when they fall off.  With any luck a few will sell giving you a small place to start.  Since I started in Undercity I found it very easy to do this, as I just ran around the inner circle once and then the outer circle.  I even got lucky and snagged a green recipe along my trip which sold within the first day...as did the second one I picked up.

Selling vendor recipes has always been a favorite method of mine for making easy gold, even as a level 1.  As you get higher and have access to more recipes you can make more and more off of this strategy by flying out to places like Tanaris and Everlook and picking up a few of all the recipes there.  If you have access to cross faction trading, grabbing all the cooking recipes from the master chef guy in SW is also VERY profitable.  I usually pick up 2-3 of all the non BoP recipes and trade them to Hordeside and sell them for 50g each...and they're all gone within a week.  Every couple of days I often get sales of every recipe or formula I have for a specific prof to sell all to one buyer.  I love completionists. <3

After a day or two of doing this I had about 150 gold, so I picked up my professions and started working on those -- I picked Inscription and Herbalism to feed it.  I'd highly suggest Inscription as a money maker for low levels especially if you have some knowledge of it already.  It might not work as well on a high population realm, but on both my main (medium pop) realm and this new one (low pop) I'm making much more money than I feed into it as I level.  I checked the auction house and found very little competition to be had (3-4 posters) and pretty good profits, so I felt pretty safe in this choice.  After going out and picking flowers for a bit I had leveled it up to the point of being able to do the minor glyph cd and managed to get the Blessing of Might one which I've been selling at least one a day of since for 80ish gold.

I used what I've learned from my main banker to help me chose which glyphs to make, along with my knowledge of classes in general -- Lightning Shield is an early glyph that every Enh Shammy wants so I made sure to always have two of those up.  I've been doing my discovery every day and keeping 2 of each of the better glyphs up and have done pretty well for myself as a very low level...800 each time I pick up my mail is pretty good I think! =)  I should be able to afford epic flying as soon as I can get it at this rate, which will be nice.

I plan to do some small flipping soon and see how that goes on here.  I may try Volatile Life as I've heard that's been successful for a number of people by buying early in the morning and marking it up to post late at night.

Once I get to Outland i'll be adding the Netherstorm vendor parts and pets to what I sell, along with (obviously) more glyphs the longer I have the character.

I can't think of any profession other than being a scribe that can make so much profit right out of the gates, very helpful for making money as you level up.  How would you guys make money on a low level character?

No comments:

Post a Comment