Monday, January 31, 2011

Vary Your Stack Sizes

I've been taking a bit of a break this week to do some more real life stuff as well as enjoy two new games I got a few days ago, but don't worry, I'm still here!  I'd like to take a look at stack sizes today.  It's such a simple trick, but it really helps with making more sales if you're selling things like raws mats, and sometimes even crafted goods.

I've been seeing a ton of people lately who don't seem to understand this concept.  You know those people who post up 20 dust as singles?  Or Essences? Or gems?  Or leather?  Or...do you see what I mean?  They're missing out on sales by only selling one stack size.  Not to mention the fact that when they do post singles in large volume it's a pain to get to the higher stacks.

Like this.  This guy had well over 40 singles posted.


A lot of people who play this game are very, very lazy.  If someone needs a bunch of gems to level JC, they'd rather buy a 20 stack and save time if they have the option.  What does this mean?  If you're the only person selling 20 stacks of those gems they need, they're going to buy a ton of stuff from you, just to avoid hassle.  Best part?  They're often willing to pay 3g or more extra on each gem to do so.

Same goes to the person who doesn't need something in a full stack, but needs more than just one of an item.  They'll pay more than they would per item as a single for a stack of five.

Now, I'm unsure if these people are THAT lazy/unattached to their gold or if they're just bad at math, but if you aren't catering to them, you should be!

If I have enough stock of an item I'll post 20,10,5,1 and then more random numbers in between if I have enough.  Today I put a bunch of dust up.  A BUNCH.  A few 20s, 2 10s, 4 5s, and then random numbers.  16, 8, 13, 18, 3.  I was only doing it as an experiment but a few of these weird stack sizes sold out within a few hours today.  My guess would be that they have a specific amount they need to get the chant they want at the time, and so buy however much they happen to need.  I've never seen anyone on my server post these random stack sizes before, but it's doing fairly well, so if you're like me and swimming in extra dust, take advantage and try this out. (Though I'd avoid doing it on high deposit items, I don't think they'll sell steadily enough to make that a very good idea.)

Varying stack sizes work well on other things too -- I used to sell Heavy Borean Armor Kits in singles, doubles, and 4s (for tank alts mostly) and the 4s and 2s sold almost as well as the singles.

So take a look at what you're selling and then think on what people are likely using it for.  Or you can do like me and just post random sizes and see what does well.  If there's anything you're not posting multiple sizes of, I suggest you jump on that, cause it's a good way to diversify without spending a copper. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment