Friday, January 14, 2011

The Start of an Army

Today I'd like to talk about farmers.  We know them, we love them, they power our businesses and ensure that WE don't have to go farming unless we feel like doing so.  Having my own suppliers was a big milestone for me when I first started making gold.  During Wrath I had a few farmers over the last months sending me leather to supplement what I got on the AH to power my LW crafting.  None of them lasted very long or gave me a very large supply, but every little bit helped.

Earlier today I began recruiting minions to farm for me.  I plan to get as many farmers as I can to keep my inscription going strong for as cheap as possible. ^^

There's a few things I've noticed when dealing with my farmers/potential farmers.  

-Being polite and literate goes a huge way.  I once had someone agree to a lower price because I was able to type and capitalize and use punctuation.  This one also goes when talking to a buyer/seller for high profile items.
-Don't be too friendly though.  I try to be nice to everyone, especially people who are helping me.  But if you get too close they think they can raise the price because they think you're friends.  It's good to draw a line somewhere -- I've learned that if they ask if I wanna run a dungeon I should probably decline so as to avoid giving the wrong signal.
-I still mess this up because I feel bad ripping people off, but start LOW.  It's much easier to offer to raise the price if they don't like it than it is to lower it after they've agreed to your maximum. >_<
-Be sure to watch the market price even if you use only farmers.  While not a huge deal if the price rises and neither one of you notice, you definitely don;t want to pay more than you would if you bought at the AH!  I had this happen for a short time with Jormungar Scales during Wrath, I felt reeeeeally smart about that... 

Having farmers is really wonderful thing though -- higher profits for you, and a steady supply of whatever they farm. =D  Plus you're helping them buy buying their goods constantly and without the auction house deposit.  So I highly suggest that you make a macro to occasionally use while you're doing your stuff in major cities.  "WTB herbs in bulk PST" Is what I've been using. =)

*Edit: Just snagged myself an Obsidium farmer as well*

Anyone know any other/better ways of recruiting farmers?

No comments:

Post a Comment