Friday, January 14, 2011

Market Crashing?

Have I mentioned how much I love the glyph market?  No?  Well, let me tell you then!  It's been my biggest money maker (My natural one excluded =P) and a lot of fun to play around with for the past months.  And I learned a TON because of it.  Such as why Auctioneer is not suitable for posting them. >_>  Mind you, it took me a while, but I eventually discovered APM which I love.

Lately though, I've discovered something new in my market -- tons of competition and even a camper or two!  So after noticing my sales dropping for a few days in a row I checked it out and discovered them.  And I've been trying to decide what to do.  After a bit of thinking I have decided to go with something I have only heard people speak of and always wanted to try for myself: a glyph wall!  So I'll be preparing for that for a little bit, since my stockpile is almost completely used up right now and I'd only been milling enough to keep up the stock I was posting.

But that has changed.  Any Cinderbloom below 75g I'm buying out and milling, along with any other herbs that are 20g/stack or below.  I'm hoping to have 10 of each glyph I can make and at least 3k Blackfallow Ink and a few hundred of each of the actual inks used set aside in a stockpile.  The very first gold blog I was was Stokpile and I learned a TON from reading his blog, most notably is to stockpile like CRAZY!  I hadn't been thinking too much about that, but I'm paying attention and doing just that right now, so I'll be prepared to get control of my market back.

After buying and milling today my stockpile looks like this:
823 Blackfallow Ink
238 Ink of the Sea
254 Jadefire
218 Midnight
142 Shimmering
78 Celestial
10 Lion's
0 Ethereal

I need to craft tomorrow, and that'll take about 350 out of the stock, but it's coming along nicely.  If I keep picking up herbs like this I should be ready pretty fast. =)

I must confess, I'm not entirely sure of how to implement a glyph wall.  I've read about them in a few different places but haven't figured out if I should be trying to drive my competitor to leave by making him have constantly low sales (by posting just above his threshold) or by making him have no sales at all.

With the first one I won't have to worry so much about running through my stock before I can replenish it, and it keeps his profits low and may drive him out by annoyance of his lack of huge numbers.  It'll also force him to go through his stocks faster.  And I wouldn't need as many glyphs to wall with for this one I don't think.

On the other hand if I go beneath him he'll get pretty much no sales, which would be crippling since he doesn't seem to have many back up markets or even a good grasp of glyphs. (His fallback is 800.  Glyphs on my server don't sell if they go over 300.)  He'd hopefully either give up and drop out of the market, try and change his APM to drive ME out of the market, or try and buy me out.  I'd kind of hope for the last option even though my profits wouldn't be very good, cause I'd get to mess with him and he'd end up with 10+ of each glyph and no way to sell them any higher.

I'm fairly confident that I can outlast him, as I'm in more markets, think I have deeper pockets, and probably will have a larger stockpile.  But I'll be losing a ton of money for the duration of my time doing this either way, but especially with the second option.

...But it also seems like I'd have more fun doing that one and completely killing the glyph market for a little while is something I'd never had to power to do before, so I'd be rather excited to do it for the first time.

I'm leaning towards posting below him to screw with everyone, what do you think?  Also, I hope it's okay that I post this much for right now.  I have a lot of free time for right now, a ton of ideas since it's a new blog, and I've missed writing. XD;

No comments:

Post a Comment